Thursday, January 17, 2008

An Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England

After seeing An Arsonist’s Guide to Writers’ Homes in New England by Brock Clarke in numerous magazines, I decided to check it out for myself, and I must admit I'm not sure what to make of it. It's a funny book without a happy ending. The main character is a "bumbler" whose greatest act is to take the blame for every wrong that occurs in the book. Most of the time I just want to shake common sense into the fools that populate this book. However, I like how the book explores the notion of storytelling and it's impact on other people. Just because you don't like the story doesn't mean that the story won't affect you. So, next time you're in New England, pick up An Arsonist's Guide and bumble your way through those stuffy, New England homes.

No comments: